2015-16 Faculty Retirement Planning - Path Forward Workshops
2015-16 Vice Chancellor Carole Goldberg Memo on Faculty Retirement Planning - Path Forward Workshops
DATE: November 20, 2015
RE: Faculty Retirement Planning Workshops: Path Forward – Owning Your Retirement and Future
In my recent letter to you I indicated the many possibilities and opportunities available to retired faculty, such as mentoring, teaching, serving as PI on a research grant and otherwise maintaining an active research program, chairing a dissertation committee, and serving on an Academic Senate committee. At this time of enrollment growth and resource constraints, UCLA recognizes that emeriti faculty bring tremendous value to the campus through their wisdom and experience, as well as their teaching, research, and service. My letter also mentioned the Faculty Retirement Workshops we introduced last year in partnership with UCLA Extension. Those workshops were well-received and, based on feedback from attendees, we are offering an improved and somewhat streamlined series of three workshops during Winter Quarter 2016, at no cost to participating faculty.
I hope you will consider attending the series, entitled Path Forward – Owning Your Retirement and Future. All Senate faculty, regardless of age, years of university service, or title may participate. The curriculum is designed to assist you in thinking about and planning for this important decision. Whether you intend to retire this academic year, or your move to emerita/us status is well in the future, I urge you to attend.
These retirement workshops are part of a larger University initiative aimed at supporting you and your continuing role as scholars and teachers. UCLA is committed to creating a culture where faculty retirements are supported from preliminary discussion with your Department Chair, through and beyond the date of your retirement. We view retirement as a recalibration of your continued relationship to UCLA, not as the end to that relationship. The Path Forward workshops, as well as the appointment of Professor Emeritus David Lopez as the first UCLA Faculty Retirement Liaison, reflect UCLA’s commitment to an enhanced understanding of faculty retirement.
Three workshops will be held at the Faculty Center, one Friday morning a month, beginning on January 22, 2016. For the full schedule and more information regarding the curriculum, please go to http://www.errc.ucla.edu/Faculty/Planning-for-Retirement/Path-Forward-Workshops. Registration will be through UCLA Extension, and a brief summary of each session, is explained below.
- Workshop I: January 22, 2016 – this workshop will focus on how to achieve the best possible post-retirement arrangements within your department or other academic unit, as well as provide an overview of the University retirement process as it applies to faculty. A representative of the UCLA Library will also discuss how to archive your papers.
- Workshop II: February 19, 2016 – features a panel of three emeriti who maintain active research, teaching and service roles at UCLA who will discuss their experiences and offer tips for continued campus involvement.
- Workshop III: March 4, 2016 – representatives from the Benefits Office will help you understand the mechanics of the University retirement process, including decisions you will have to make regarding your pension, health coverage, and returning to UC employment.
To participate in this workshop series, you must enroll by completing one of the following two options. Either action must be completed and received by UCLA Extension no later than January 19, 2016. To enroll in Path Forward – Owning Your Retirement and Future, Course #263984:
(1) complete your registration online by clicking here to register, or
(2) call UCLA Extension at (310) 825-9971 to register for Course #263984.
As part of UCLA’s ongoing commitment to you, the Dean of your School has agreed to cover the cost of your attendance at the retirement workshops.
I hope you will take advantage of this opportunity offered by the University and set aside time in your busy academic life to attend. If you have any questions, or prefer to incur the cost yourself, please feel free to contact Ragini Gill, Director, Emeriti/Retirees Relations Center. Her phone is (310) 825-0234 and her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vice Chancellor, Academic Personnel
Jonathan D. Varat Distinguished Professor of Law